10 Reasons to Love EVs
Fall in love with electric vehicles this Valentine's Day.
Valentine's Day is all about love. We think there's a lot to love about electric vehicles (EV). We've listed some of the reasons EV drivers have deep affection for their EVs.
10) They go out of their way to make you feel special. Many EVs offer the latest features. Some include autopilot settings, which can steer the vehicle and maintain its speed on highway trips. Others feature smartphone apps to control some of the car's functions remotely, such as preheating the vehicle.
9) They are comfortable. Because there’s no internal combustion engine, EVs are much quieter than gasoline vehicles.
8) They are tested. EVs undergo intense and rigorous safety testing to make sure they meet the same safety standards as traditional vehicles. They also have a lower center of gravity, which means the vehicle is less likely to turn over.
7) They are convenient. Powering your car with electricity means no standing outside to pump gas in freezing cold temperatures. Most EV charging happens at home. With MGE's Charge@Home program, customers can get a Level 2 charging station at their home for about $20 a month plus the cost of electricity.
6) They offer flexibility. If you need to charge away from home, there are more than 50 public charging stations in the Madison area. MGE's charging network features 31 stations—four of which are DC Fast Chargers capable of providing 60 to 80 miles of range in 20 minutes. Learn more about all your charging options here.
5) They aren't afraid of a long-term commitment. If "range anxiety" has kept you from exploring an EV, a growing number of models have batteries for long-distance travel. A Chevy Bolt can cruise up to 238 miles on a single charge. Several 2019 models, such as the Hyundai Kona EV and the Kia Niro EV, offer even longer ranges.
4) They are fun. EVs offer instant torque. That means all the motor's power is available to the driver faster than with a gasoline engine. The Chevy Bolt goes from 0 to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds. And with more than 40 EV models available, you can make sure you find "the one" for you.
3) They are low maintenance. Electric vehicles require less maintenance because they have fewer moving parts. That means no oil changes—and the brakes last longer because the electric motor helps bring the car to a stop.
2) They are friendly. All-electric vehicles have zero tailpipe emissions. Driving an EV can help to reduce emissions. When you charge using MGE's public charging network, you're also "fueling up" using 100% clean energy. And, you can further reduce the impacts to our environment by charging your EV at home on green power. MGE's Green Power Tomorrow program offers up to 100% renewable energy for your home.
1) They "give back." EV drivers see an average annual fuel savings of more than $600 when compared to drivers of a typical gasoline vehicle, according to a 2018 University of Michigan study. That means more money to spend on your valentine!
Learn more about why there’s a lot to love about EVs. Visit mge.com/LovEV.