Make your home more energy efficient this season
MGE has simple, no-cost ways to help you save energy this winter.
Looking for easy, no-cost ways to save energy and keep your home more comfortable this season? Madison Gas and Electric (MGE) is here to help with five simple steps for your household.
- Set your furnace fan to "auto" instead of "on." This is one of the biggest steps you can take to be energy efficient at home.
- You can save an estimated 10% on your heating bill by turning your thermostat down 10 to 15 degrees for eight hours a day. Visit mge.com/setthermostat for recommended settings.
- Open your blinds or drapes to let in the sunshine during the day. Close them at night to reduce heat loss and drafts.
- Leaving windows unlocked allows the air to move in and out of the house as energy loss. It's common for the upper sash of a window to "fall down" a bit, leaving the top of a double-hung window open, which often goes unseen because of blinds or shades. Ensure this doesn't happen by locking your windows!
- Phone chargers, computers and other electronics can still use energy when not in use and can account for 5% to 10% of your total energy use. Help manage your energy use by unplugging items when not in use.
Want more ways to save? Stay up-to-date on energy-saving tips by visiting mge2050.com.